Muller Flight Park @ GEAR
My name is Brandon Hopkins and I am a Director with the AHPA (Alberta Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association). Recently, I, in conjunction with Keith at Muller Windsports and Hugo / Scott with Golden Altitude Adventures (Tandem pilots) have been in talks with Cathy-Anne of GEAR (Golden Eco-Adventure Ranch) in Golden B.C, where we have an amazing landing field called the Muller Flight Park.
The landing zone is going to open on 20 June 2020.
I’m going to speak in plain language here: There are rules that SHALL be followed. There is no deviating from this and should there be a growing number of folks that don’t want to follow the rules then we will lose this amazing landing field; PERMANENTLY. With this in mind, we will need to self-police, educate out of province / country Pilots, and not sit back if folks aren’t following the rules. Please adhere to the following:
- There is a new “Landing Agreement” posted to the GEAR website www.https://goldenadventurepark.com, https://www.mullerwindsports.com, and available at AHPA.ca. These waivers are annual, will be subject to change, and must be read, acknowledged, and signed with a witness. A hard copy must be given to staff at GEAR, Keith MacCullough at Muller Windsports or the Tandem Pilots. This, in partner with your HPAC membership or temporary HPAC membership, will enable you to have a sticker on your helmet (kindly designed by Keith at Muller Windsports) and will allow you to land at the flight park. This sticker must be worn on your helmet if you plan to land at GEAR. Failure to do so will result in your eviction from the property
- There is a ZERO TOLERANCE for drinking alcohol at the landing field.
- There is a ZERO TOLERANCE for the smoking of cigarettes, cannabis, or vaping at the landing field.
- Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the landing field will be limited to 25 persons at a time. You are expected to maintain physical distancing of 2 m at all times. You are absolutely allowed to hang out and watch your friends come in, take your time packing up, and be stoked knowing your buds had a great flight. But in doing so, please don’t commit #2 and #3 violations. The person limit will be subject to change as the COVID-19 crisis evolves.
- If you are NOT paying for a campsite at GEAR, you do NOT have access to their facilities past the GEAR office. We currently don’t pay to land at their field, and this is their property. Please accept their generosity as it is.
ANY VIOLATIONS OF THE RULES LAID OUT BY GEAR AND THE ASSOCIATION WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING:
- In large letters on the Rules and Regulations that you will sign, it clearly states: FAILURE TO COMPLY TO ANY OR ALL OF THE ABOVE WILL RESULT IN YOUR EVICTION FROM THE PROPERTY AND PERMISSION TO ACCESS THE LANDING ZONE MAY BE DENIED INDEFINITELY.
I don’t know how else to put it. There was some neglect of the rules posted by GEAR last year and this is our second chance. We will need to inform and Police ourselves if we want to continue landing at their field.
Alternatively, Doug and Karen Keller are preparing their property (Sky View Ranch) to allow landing as well and waivers will need to be signed through them before landing on their property. These rules have been previously posted by Randy Parkin. If you don’t feel like following the rules laid out at GEAR, land elsewhere.
In conclusion, on behalf of the AHPA and everyone making this possible, we appreciate Cathy-Anne and the staff at GEAR for re-opening the Muller Flight Park for us to enjoy the Columbia Valley as we have over the years. We are Albertans, but I know we all enjoy our time in British Columbia and supporting the valley as we have. Mount 7 and Muller flight park are an important staple for Alberta pilots.
We will be the ones to make this successful or not.